Respiratory Services at Wascana Rehabilitation Centre
At the Wascana Rehabilitation Centre (WRC), Respiratory Therapists provide long-term care, rehabilitation, and community services to their clients, including the Community Respiratory Outreach Program (CROP) and the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Rehabilitation Program.
Specific services include the care of long-term ventilator-dependent patients, tracheostomy follow-up, caregiver respiratory-related training, oximetry testing for the evaluation of home oxygen therapy, and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) rehabilitation. Physicians refer patients to WRC Respiratory Services for oximetry testing and to participate in the COPD Rehabilitation program, which is located at Pioneer Village.
For more information, contact the senior WRC RT at 306-766-5124.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Rehabilitation Program
- A lung disease caused largely by smoking
- Airways become blocked making it difficult to breath
- May result in shortness of breath, increased coughing, and mucous production
- It is treatable but not reversible
- Relieve symptoms
- Slow progression of the disease
- Improve activity level
- Improve overall health
- Decrease hospital and doctor visits
Community Respiratory Outreach Program
The Community Respiratory Outreach Program (CROP) provides community-based respiratory education and support to clients and their caregivers. Within the scope of CROP, is the Home Ventilator Assistance Program (HVAP) for people who need a ventilator. The HVAP can help people who live at home all the time, and those who leave the hospital for short periods. The HVAP is respectful of the needs and wants of their clients, and will help them enjoy life outside of the hospital.
- Respiratory Therapy services
- Ventilator training
- Ventilators and equipment/supplies through Saskatchewan Aids to Independent Living Program
- 24-hour on-call support services