Patient Surgical Initiative
Home / Surgical Services / Surgical Access / Patient Surgical Initiative
Information for Surgical Patients
My Surgery: Planning in Advance (PDF)
RQHR and all health regions in our province are striving to transform surgical care for patients in Saskatchewan.
The Saskatchewan Surgical Initiative strives to improve surgical patient care and to ensure that by 2014, all patients have the option of receiving their surgery within three months. RQHR is focused on providing sooner, safer, smarter patient care and is making positive progress with its surgical initiatives.
Celebrating Surgical Success
Regina Qu’Appelle Health Region (RQHR) celebrates significant surgical success, as of April 20, 2015 a total of 26,575 patients had surgery in the Region in 2014-15. Visit our Surgical Success page to learn more.
RQHR Patient Surgical Initiative Projects
- Third party provider - RQHR has contracts with third-party surgical providers in Regina to help patients get certain types of surgeries more quickly.
- Surgeon and OR staff recruitment and retention - RQHR has hired an additional orthopedic surgeon to assist with reducing wait times for patients. Additionally, RQHR is recruiting additional support staff for operating rooms.
- Discharge planning - RQHR staff, physicians and health care teams are working together to provide optimal care for patients and then to have them safely discharged to their homes or to their home hospital.
- Mobile MRI - The mobile MRI outside the General Hospital Emergency Doors offers additional diagnostic access for patients to be assessed for surgery or other forms of treatment.
- Streamline Surgical Booking - By providing patients with more options when surgeries are being booked (eg. Being offered an earlier surgery date with a surgeon who has a shorter waiting list), patients can take a more proactive role in the timing of their surgery.
- Women's Health Centre - We are maximizing our existing resources by utilizing capacity at the Women’s Health Centre for some surgical procedures.
- Surgical Safety Checklist - RQHR is committed to providing sooner, safer and smarter patient care. Our surgical teams are committed to implementing the surgical safety checklist to ensure that quality and safety are their main focus.